Health is truly the elixir of life. One cannot hope to think, dream or do anything without good health by his side. The first step towards a healthy lifestyle is to only choose foods that are beneficial and that nourish and alleviate your body. Avoid those that merely satisfy your taste buds but destroy your good health. Wheatgrass among all is like ambrosia to your body because it is considered to be nature’s finest medicine. It is prepared from the cotyledons of the Wheat plant. The roots, rhizome and above-ground parts are deemed fit for preparation of medicine.
One serving of Wheatgrass juice has the nutritional equivalence of one and a half pounds of dark, green, leafy vegetables. Wheatgrass juice is a widely popular health drink. The consumption of Wheatgrass dates back 5000 years ago to the ancient Egyptian and Mesopotamian civilizations. It may appear to be a simple, dull grass but don’t be fooled, this potent nutritional storehouse is also known as ‘liquid gold’ so named due to the high concentration of over 90 alkaline minerals like Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium and Sodium.
Wheatgrass juice consists of 70% chlorophyll. Chlorophyll is the very first production of light. It is a most potent substance which not only absolves but also builds blood. Chlorophyll has antibacterial properties and can be used both on the inside as well as outside the body as a therapeutic and healing substance. It is said to contain the highest amount of healing properties compared to any other element. It is almost identical to Haemoglobin, the pigment responsible for supply of Oxygen to every cell in the body. Chlorophyll thus facilitates an increased supply of Oxygen to cells and tissues leading to cell regeneration thus healing the body as well as improving complexion.Chlorophyll fights bacteria thus preventing diseases. Cell regeneration helps treat wounds on the skin faster and better thus accelerating the healing process of burnt skin as well.
Let us now have a brief account of most of the health benefits of Wheatgrass:
- Daily intake of Wheatgrass juice boosts red blood cell count. Apart from this, there are several other benefits.
- It contains chemicals that possess antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Wheatgrass can be used as a medicine to treat skin diseases like Eczema and Psoriasis.
- By including even a small amount of wheatgrass in your diet is said to keep tooth decays at bay.
- For those of you who need to be up and about the next day after a night well spent on drinking, wheatgrass will help hydrate yourself since alcohol tends to remove water from body cells leaving you dehydrated.
- Wheatgrass supplements can keep you safe from common colds even if every single person in your vicinity is sneezing away to glory.
- Wheatgrass is the best cure to obesity as it stimulates the thyroid gland, fights indigestion and several other afflictions of the endocrine system.
- It is also said to have a positive effect on the reproductive system as well.
- The high amino acid content in wheatgrass boosts cell regeneration and growth. Amino acid as we have learnt many times at school are the building blocks of proteins.
- When consumed fresh, it acts as a living food with coursing bio-electricity.
- Steer clear of antacids to reduce heartburn or indigestion by introducing Wheatgrass in your diet that counters these problems with Vitamin B, amino acids and enzyme content.
- It has also proved useful in treating arthritis.
- Have unbearable body odour? Regular consumption or external application of Wheatgrass is a natural way to rid yourself of your B.O woes.
- As mentioned earlier, Wheatgrass is beneficial to your teeth. By gargling a shot of Wheatgrass juice will eliminate toxic substances from your mouth and re-mineralize teeth.
- This simple grass is a powerhouse of nutrition that glides smoothly into your diet replenishing all those unfulfilled pockets of nourishment most beneficial to the body.
- Irregular and painful menstrual cycles which are generally attributed to vitamin and mineral deficiencies can be smoothened out by regular consumption of Wheatgrass. It also helps manage menopause effectively.
- In particular, the Vitamin B in Wheatgrass helps overcome anxiety and improves mental health.
- By snorting wheatgrass juice helps clear the sinuses since it breaks down mucus and this is very beneficial for those having an extremely stuffy nose.
- Feeling weak and irritated? If you are a woman you can definitely relate to this feeling. Women generally lose iron content from their body quicker. If your nails are weak and have discoloration or spots on them is a strong indication of Iron deficiency. Iron is essentially important for good blood circulation. Fatigue, weakness and a bad mood for no reason may be due to low iron in the body. One glass of Wheatgrass juice will pump up Iron levels owing to Vitamin B in it.
- For people seeking to lose weight, include Wheatgrass in your diet plan since daily intake targets the thyroid gland which is primarily responsible for weight gain and effectively manages its functioning. Since it is so full of all the required nutrition, you won’t be left craving for other foods.
- By having 100 ml of Wheatgrass juice every day for a month will treat patients suffering from Ulcerative Colitis (Inflammation of the Colon).
- Even Thalassaemia patients are said to require fewer blood transfusions on frequent intake of Wheatgrass juice.
- Wheatgrass rejuvenates the liver with its nutrients, enzymes and detoxifying properties. It is excellent at curing asthma, hair and skin ailments as well as throat infections.
Here is a list of all the vitamins and minerals that makes up wheatgrass:
- Dietary Fibre
- Vita A, C, E, K, B6
- Pantothenic Acid
- A very small amount of Protein.
This magical medicinal plant is sadly avoided my most people owing to its disgusting taste. It is quite bitter which is why most people like to take shots of it. A Wheatgrass shot is about 2-4 ounces of the juice which you are supposed to gulp down. Or you can even mix it with another juice or a smoothie to camouflage the taste. Wheatgrass shots are quite popular since trying to sip the juice is extremely unpleasant. Blending it with other juices does not lower its nutritional value. However, don’t stock up. Always have it fresh. If you wish to preserve it for more than a day, pour it into ice trays and freeze them into little Wheatgrass juice cubes. After that place the trays in zip-lock bags and place them in the refrigerator to retain the freshness. There are other problems of course, like wheatgrass being inaccessible and a tad bit expensive.
But as they say, the best books have the worst covers.With an innumerable number of benefits pertaining to energy, overall health, beauty etc., I think it is only apt that one should gulp Wheatgrass down their throats with their noses pressed tightly together.
Too much of good is actually bad, they say. Even in our case, consuming too much of Wheatgrass is not advisable. The best way to have it is fresh, immediately after extraction on an empty stomach preferably in the morning. You must keep in mind that it is in no way a cure to everything and must never completely replace medical treatment or a healthy diet. Since it is not exactly a delicious thing to have, consuming too much can make you feel nauseous. There are two reasons why you may feel nauseous. One, your body is detoxifying itself and you are bearing the brunt. Second, what you just ate was disgusting. Your digestive system cannot digest too much of Wheatgrass juice and drinking too much of it can lead to Diarrhoea, Constipation or other digestive problems. Before incorporating it into your daily diet, make sure that you do not have any allergic reactions. People suffering from Celiac disease must consume only gluten-free Wheatgrass juice. Indications of an allergic reaction include a swollen face, throat or hives. If you notice any of these symptoms, stop drinking Wheatgrass juice and seek immediate medical attention. Pregnant and breastfeeding women must strictly stay away from it.
Though deemed as inaccessible and expensive, Wheatgrass can actually be grown in your backyard. Within 7 days, the seeds will germinate and will grow until they are ready to be extracted. It grows best indoors on trays. While growing indoors, it must be protected against bacterial growth due to limited supply of air. Make sure they get lots of ventilation by means of fan or air conditioning. If you would prefer to buy it rather than grow it, make sure it is organic and free from chemicals.
Here are the basic steps to growing them indoors:
- Soak hard Wheat seeds overnight.
- Sprout them in a jar for the next 24 hours. Do not forget to rinse them well 3 times every day.
- When a short tail has grown, plant them on the soil. Use basic potting mix in a tray.
- Water the tray and cover the seeds to prevent drying out of the seeds.
- For the first three days, water the tray once every morning. And by water I mean, really soak the tray.
- On the fourth day, uncover the grass. Water them well once a day and leave them in the shade.
- When a second blade of grass is visible, harvest. This will take up to 12 days.
One of the most powerful benefits of Wheatgrass is its ability to fight and destroy cancer. Wheatgrass is nature’s age-old and forgotten alternative to toxic chemotherapy sessions for treating cancer. It owes all its cancer fighting abilities to the large amount of Chlorophyll.
The mechanism works as follows:
Chlorophyll facilitates the production of more Haemoglobin. More Haemoglobin produces more Oxygen which reaches the cancerous cells thus destroying them. There are two chemicals in Wheatgrass called Abscisic acid and Laetrile acid that contain extremely strong anti-cancer properties. Wheatgrass can be used both to prevent as well as to treat cancer completely. Researchers have applied small portions of Wheatgrass on to cancer-causing agents and have proven that their activity showed a drastic decline to about 99%. Wheatgrass contains an enzyme known as Super-Oxide Dismutase (SOD) which acts as a protector of the body from degenerative diseases like cancer.
The 1940’s and 50’s saw a method to treat cancer which was to extract blood from a patient, bombard it with UV light and then the extracted blood was injected back into the patient. Modern day medicine has found a new way to this same method where instead of using extracted blood from the patient, Wheatgrass juice is exposed to Ultraviolet light which is fed to the patient. This treatment has been deemed safe by The Independent Cancer Research Foundation, Inc. provided all the safety precautions are followed. Wheatgrass extracts are said to constrain carcinogens which implies that even if we cannot say definitively that Wheatgrass cures cancer, it is certain that it will prevent it.
Today, make a pledge to eat and drink only that which is healthy. People are suffering the world over due to poor diet choices mostly involving cancer-causing junk like sodas and fast-food. Educate your friends and family about the benefits of growing and consuming fresh produce. Nature knows best what is good for your health and well-being. Protect yourself and your loved ones from dreaded diseases and aim to live a long, happy, healthy life.
Please share your comments.