This article will let you know what are the Health Benefits and Uses of Quinoa. Protein is an essential component of nutritive diet. Our body needs protein for growth and strength. Quinoa is a protein rich grain which looks like rice grains but little couscous in nature. It is equally versatile as rice. Quinoa seeds contains sufficient amount of amino acids, iron and phosphorous to supply your body. Benefits of Quinoa are wholesome. The Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAO) has officially announced that the year 2013 was recognized as “The International Year of the Quinoa.” You can find different recipes to eat Quinoa. Read through this blog to know more about the benefits, uses and some tasty recipes of Quinoa.
Apropos of Quinoa-
Quinoa was originated in the Andean region of Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador and Colombia. The nutrient composition is much favorable as compared with common cereals. These seeds contain some essential Amino Acids like lysine and sufficient quantities of calcium, phosphorus, and iron components. These seeds, after being harvested, are processed to remove the outer coating containing some bitter-tasting Saponins. The seeds are generally cooked in the same way as rice and thus can be used in a wide range of dishes. The leaves of the plants are eaten as a leafy vegetables, which has high nutritive components but commercial availability of quinoa greens is briefly limited. Quinoa serves as a rich source of the Vitamin B complex, thiamine, riboflavin, and folate. It is also a rich source of the dietary minerals like zinc, phosphorous, magnesium and manganese. These pseudo cereals also contain a brief amount of calcium and thus are useful for vegans and lactose intolerant people. It is gluten –free, thus making it easy to digest. Alike the cereal grasses like wheat, Quinoa are efficiently higher in fat content. It supplies adequate amounts of heart-healthy fats like monounsaturated fat, especially in the form of oleic acid. Any process of breaking over Quinoa like boiling, simmering, or steaming do not compromise any quality of quinoa’s fatty acids or oleic acid which allows us to enjoy its rich cooked texture and flavor without losing any of its nutritive benefit.
Know why Quinoa is beneficial for you-
Quinoa is a non-grassy pseudo cereal which is considered as a cereal because of its nutritional composition. These seeds after harvesting are milled and grounded into flour similar to other grains and cereals. Let’s discuss more about the benefits of quinoa consumption and why you should consume quinoa.
- Quinoa is high in protein. Protein is required by our body for proper growth and functioning of body system. Mal-protein or protein deficiency caused handful diseases. Thus to stay healthy and disease free quinoa is a supplement of protein.
- Astoundingly nutritious. We generally worry about a proper diet with sufficient amount of nutrients. Quinoa can solve your tension. A cup of wholesome quinoa contains 8 grams of protein, 5 grams of fibers, 15% iron, 50% manganese and other vitamins and dietary fibers. Now, you can well acclaim how good it is for your system.
- Fat supplement. Quinoa is a well known fat supplement. It contains monosaturated fatty acids, oleic acid which is regularly essential for our body. Even after boiling, simmering, grounding, steaming, its fat constitution remains intact thus proving it to be a very good fat supplement.
- Natural harvest. Quinoa is generally grown organically. It is totally gluten free and a non-GMO pseudo grain. If you are health conscious, start your meal with quinoa to stay healthy.
- Richness in bioactive substances. Nutrition goes beyond vitamin and mineral consumption. There are other components which are equally required by our body like bio active substances and anti-oxidants. Quinoa contains Quercetin and Kaempferol which are two essential bioactive substances. They serve as antioxidants to our body.
- Fiber content is much higher than normal grains. Quinoa, though a pseudo grain, contains fiber content which is much higher than other grains. One cup of raw quinoa contains 20-27 grams of dietary fibers.
- Totally Gluten free. Gluten is a kind of mixed protein generally found in wheat, barley and other grains. Many people are allergic to gluten. But Quinoa is gluten free and perfect for gluten intolerant people. It increases the antioxidant value of the grain.
- Benefits in metabolic health. Quinoa is efficient for increasing metabolic health. It lowers blood sugar level and triglyceride levels.
- Quinoa has also shown its characteristic in weight loss thus keeping you slim and healthy.
How can you use quinoa seeds to eat?
It is always not true that nutrition rich foods are always boring. Quinoa though rich in nutrients has wholesome tasty ways of consumption. There are many ways to consume quinoa. A number of recipes are available which can treat you healthy and tasty quinoa. Easiest way to eat quinoa is to boil it in water with some salt and vegetables. But that doesn’t seem very yummy. Try the other ways.
- Quinoa salad– Boil some quinoa in boil with salt and let the water dry. Prepare a salad of onions, cucumber, chilies, tomatoes, beet and all other raw vegetables you like. Toss the salad and boiled-dried quinoa together and serve in a boil.
- Quinoa in roasted pepper and chilies– Boil the quinoa. Heat an oven over medium heat and sprinkle some oil to pan. Add onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin and cook for 30 seconds. Add roasted pepper and chilies and boil them all with quinoa.
- Breakfast with quinoa– Quinoa is a very healthy breakfast. Just boil Quinoa in a bowl. Boil an omelet and dash it on top of boiled quinoa and sprinkle some black salt and pepper on top.
Benefits of Quinoa are limitless. Few foods contain all nutrients that are required in a healthy diet and Quinoa is a blessing to healthy diet. There are numerous other ways too, to consume quinoa. Eat healthy, stay healthy and never compromise with your healthy because more healthy you stay, the more beautiful you look.